Heading

Heading

Friday 1 August 2014

Visiting Lithuania

I first visited Lithuania over 8 years ago, and since then I have gotten to know the country in a variety of ways. Primarily through numeral visits to many different parts of Lithuania, both in summer and in winter. The intention of the blog is to share my experiences so far and thereby encourage other people to visit this seemingly rather unappreciated part of Europe.

I realize that there is an abundance of travel information available from other sources, but this information is in Lithuania’s case often very shallow and does not really do the country justice. Very rarely does such information offer the opportunity to look beyond the first impressions. Usually they are little more than basic guides to tourist traps and shopping malls, lined with lots of historical and geographical facts that few people bother to read.

Tourist traps and shopping malls are a part of the Lithuanian experience, but if visitors never search for what lies beyond they will all go back with the same impressions, the same photos and the same misconception that they really got to know the country. I hope to offer some assistance in this matter.

During my travels, I have visited a large number of tourist sites, stayed for some time in all the major cities, eaten in many restaurants and stayed at many hotels. Unlike many travel guides, I intend to give my honest opinion about them. Not just give you historical backgrounds and GPS coordinates, but also actually write whether I think they are worth your time or not. Being a long-time teacher, I do of course feel over qualified for this task. So Lithuania, you are hereby warned. I will come and grade you!

However, before I can start grading I will have to start with the beginning. More precisely with my expectations before visiting Lithuania for the first time, in the middle of darkest winter in 2006. That will be my next update.   


destinationlithuania.blogspot.com/lithuaniantravelblog/visitinglithuania


Recommended related post:  What to expect in Lithuania?




No comments:

Post a Comment